Professor: Ivan Oseledets
Raghu received his PhD degree in Biological and Agricultural Engineering (focus: Soil Hydrology) from Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, USA in 2010. His current research interests include numerical, statistical, and physical modeling of environmental processes, remote sensing, data analysis, and research computation.
Before coming to Russia, Raghu has worked at the Indian Institute of Science (India), King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (Saudi Arabia), University of Stuttgart (Germany), and Texas A&M University (USA). Raghu has authored/co-authored 12 peer reviewed publications/ book chapters and has presented his research at over 26 international conferences/seminars. He has been a mentor to eight graduate students, and co-supervisor of one Masters student.
The main focus of Raghu’s current research is on observation and modeling of hydrological processes, and their application in agricultural and environmental issues.
Soil water balance modelling
Numerical, statistical, and physical modeling of environmental processes
|Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles||1. Jana, R. B., A. Ershadi, and M. F. McCabe (2016), Examining the relationship between intermediate scale soil moisture and terrestrial evaporation within a semi-arid grassland, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 20(10), 3987-4004, doi:10.5194/hess-20-3987-2016.
2. Jana, R. B., B. P. Mohanty, and Z. Sheng (2012), Upscaling soil hydraulic parameters in the Picacho Mountain region using Bayesian Neural Networks, Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, 55(2), 463-473.
3. Jana, R. B., and B. P. Mohanty (2012), On topographic controls of soil hydraulic parameter scaling at hill-slope scales, Water Resources Research, 48(2), doi:10.1029/2011WR011204.
4. Jana, R. B., and B. P. Mohanty (2012), A topography-based scaling algorithm for soil hydraulic parameters at hill-slope scales: Field testing, Water Resources Research, 48(2), doi:10.1029/2011WR011205.
5. Jana, R. B., and B. P. Mohanty (2012), A comparative study of multiple approaches to soil hydraulic parameter scaling applied at the hill-slope scale, Water Resources Research, 48(2), doi:10.1029/2011WR010185.
6. Jana, R. B., and B. P. Mohanty (2011), Enhancing PTFs with remotely sensed data for multi-scale soil water retention estimation, Journal of Hydrology, doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2010.12-.043.
7. Jana, R. B., B. P. Mohanty, and E. P. Springer (2008), Multiscale Bayesian neural networks for soil water content estimation, Water Resources Research, 44(8), W08408, doi:10.1029/2008wr006879.
8. Jana, R. B., B. P. Mohanty, and E. P. Springer (2007), Multiscale pedotransfer functions for soil water retention, Vadose Zone Journal, 6(4), 868-878.
|Book Chapters||1. Arora, B., D. Dwivedi, B. A. Faybishenko, R. B. Jana, and H. M. Wainwright (2019), Understanding and predicting vadose zone processes. In: Reviews of Mineralogy and Geochemistry, 85, Druhan, J., and Tournassat, C., (Ed.), pp 303-328, Mineralogical Society of America, 2019.
2. Mohanty, B. P., Ines, A. V. M., Shin, Y., Gaur, N., Das, N. N., and Jana, R. B. (2016), A Framework for Assessing Soil Moisture Deficit, and Crop Water Stress at Multiple Space and Time Scales Under Climate Change Scenarios Using Model Platform, Satellite Remote Sensing, and Decision Support System. In: Remote Sensing of Hydrological Extremes, Lakshmi, V. (Ed.), Springer Remote Sensing/Photogrammetry, Springer, 2016.
|Other Peer-Reviewed Publications||1. Altaf, M. U., R. B. Jana, I. Hoteit, and M. F. McCabe (2016), Continuous data assimilation for downscaling large-footprint soil moisture retrievals, Proc. SPIE 9998, Remote Sensing for Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Hydrology XVIII, 99981O (October 25, 2016), doi:10.1117/12.2241042.
2. Singh, G., R. K. Panda, B. P. Mohanty, and R. B. Jana (2016), Soil moisture variability across different scales in an Indian watershed for satellite soil moisture product validation, Proc. SPIE 9877, Land Surface and Cryosphere Remote Sensing III, 98772B (May 5, 2016), doi:10.1117/12.2222743.
3. Jana, R. B., A. Ershadi, and M. F. McCabe (2015), Hydrological links between cosmic-ray soil moisture retrievals and remotely sensed evaporation across a semi-arid pasture site, in Weber, T., McPhee, M.J. and Anderssen, R.S. (eds) MODSIM2015, 21st International Congress on Modelling and Simulation. Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand, December 2015, pp. 1372–1378, ISBN: 978-0-9872143-5-5.
4. Qu, Z., Li, X., Tian, D., Jana, R. B., & Mohanty, B. P. (2011), Development of regional-scale pedotransfer functions based on Bayesian Neural Networks in the Hetao Irrigation District of China, Proc. 7th International Conference on Natural Computation, ICNC 2011 (Vol. 2), IEEE, doi:10.1109/ICNC.2011.6022191.
|Research Reports||1. Jana, R. B., and B. P. Mohanty (2009), Use of Satellite Data for Soil Parameter Estimation in Rio Grande Basin, Report submitted to NASA Earth System Science Graduate Student Fellowship Program.
2. Jana, R. B., B. P. Mohanty, and E. P. Springer (2005), Soil Hydrologic Properties for Simulation of Semi-Arid River Basin Water Balance: A Report, Joint Texas A&M University and Los Alamos National Laboratory Report.
Ph. D., Biological and Agricultural Engineering, 2010
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Focus: Soil Hydrology
Title: Scaling Characteristics of Soil Hydraulic Parameters at Varying Spatial Resolutions
Advisor: Dr. Binayak P. Mohanty
M. Eng., Civil Engineering, 2004
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Focus: Pavement Materials
Thesis Title: Surface Energy Characteristics of Bitumen Additives
Advisor: Dr. Dallas N. Little
B. Eng., Civil Engineering, 2001
M. S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore University, India
Robert E. Stewart Graduate Excellence Award  Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department, Texas A&M University
Bill A., and Rita L. Stout International Graduate Student Achievement Award  Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department, Texas A&M University
NASA Earth Systems Science Graduate Fellowship [2006 – 2009] National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Washington, DC
Joseph A. Orr Graduate Fellowship  Civil Engineering Department, Texas A&M University