Professor Georgii Bazykin
Maria graduated with honors from the Faculty of Bioengineering and Bioinformatics of Moscow State University in 2012. Her diploma thesis was about population genetic analysis of highly polymorphic sea squirt Ciona savignyi. In postgraduate studies, Maria continued analyses of highly variable species on the fungi Schizophyllum commune. In 2015, Maria shifted her focus of interests to mutagenesis, repair systems in cells and cancer genetics. Her projects covered various topics, such as efficiency of repair system during replication in cells, mutagenic activity of APOBEC enzyme and properties of hypermutable brain cancers. In 2019, Maria defended a thesis on the topic “Characteristics of point mutations in human cancer cells”.
Changes in mutational processes during cancer development
1. Seplyarskiy VB, Akkuratov EE, Akkuratova N, Andrianova MA, Nikolaev SI, Bazykin GA, Adameyko I, Sunyaev SR. Error-prone bypass of DNA lesions during lagging-strand replication is a common source of germline and cancer mutations. Nat Genet. 2019 Jan;51(1):36-41. doi: 10.1038/s41588-018-0285-7.
2. Potapova NA, Andrianova MA, Bazykin GA, Kondrashov AS. Are Nonsense Alleles of Drosophila melanogaster Genes under Any Selection? Genome Biol Evol. 2018 Apr 1;10(4):1012-1018. doi: 10.1093/gbe/evy032.
3. Andrianova MA, Chetan GK, Sibin MK, Mckee T, Merkler D, Narasinga RK, Ribaux P, Blouin JL, Makrythanasis P, Seplyarskiy VB, Antonarakis SE, Nikolaev SI.Germline PMS2 and somatic POLE exonuclease mutations cause hypermutability of the leading DNA strand in biallelic mismatch repair deficiency syndrome brain tumours. J Pathol. 2017 Aug 14. doi: 10.1002/path.4957.
4. Andrianova MA, Bazykin GA, Nikolaev SI, Seplyarskiy VB. Human mismatch repair system balances mutation rates between strands by removing more mismatches from the lagging strand. Genome Res. 2017 Aug;27(8):1336-1343. doi: 10.1101/gr.219915.116.
5. Seplyarskiy VB, Andrianova MA, Bazykin GA. APOBEC3A/B-induced mutagenesis is responsible for 20% of heritable mutations in the TpCpW context. Genome Res. 2017 Feb;27(2):175-184. doi: 10.1101/gr.210336.116.
6. Bonilla X, Parmentier L, King B, Bezrukov F, Kaya G, Zoete V, Seplyarskiy VB, Sharpe HJ, McKee T, Letourneau A, Ribaux PG, Popadin K, Basset-Seguin N, Chaabene RB, Andrianova MA, Guipponi M, Garieri M, Verdan C, Grosdemange K, Sumara O, Eilers M, Aifantis I, Michielin O, de Sauvage FJ, Antonarakis SE, Nikolaev SI. Genomic analysis identifies new drivers and progression pathways in skin basal cell carcinoma. Nat Genet. 2016 Apr;48(4):398-406. doi: 10.1038/ng.3525.
7. Leonard V. Polishchuk, Konstantin Y. Popadin, Maria A. Baranova and Aleksey S. Kondrashov A genetic component of extinction risk in mammals. Oikos 124: 983–993, 2015. doi: 10.1111/oik.01734.
8. Baranova MA, Logacheva MD, Penin AA, Seplyarskiy VB, Safonova YY, Naumenko SA, Klepikova AV, Gerasimov ES, Bazykin GA, James TY, Kondrashov AS. Extraordinary genetic diversity in a wood decay mushroom. Mol Biol Evol. 2015 Oct;32(10):2775-83. doi: 10.1093/molbev/msv153.
9. Seplyarskiy VB, Logacheva MD, Penin AA, Baranova MA, Leushkin EV, Demidenko NV, Klepikova AV, Kondrashov FA, Kondrashov AS, James TY. Crossing-over in a hypervariable species preferentially occurs in regions of high local similarity. Mol Biol Evol. 2014 Nov;31(11):3016-25. doi: 10.1093/molbev/msu242. 32. Neverov AD, Kryazhimskiy S, Plotkin JB, Bazykin GA. Coordinated Evolution of Influenza A Surface Proteins. PLOS Genetics 11(8):e1005404, 2015.
10. Popadin KY, Nikolaev SI, Junier T, Baranova M, Antonarakis SE. Purifying selection in mammalian mitochondrial protein-coding genes is highly effective and congruent with evolution of nuclear genes. Mol Biol Evol. 2013 Feb;30(2):347-55. doi: 10.1093/molbev/mss219.
2012–2015 Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
Thesis: Characteristics of point mutations in human cancer cells
2007–2012 Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
Diploma (B.S.) in Bioengineering (subfield: bioinformatics), 2012
Honours Thesis: Population genetic analysis of highly polymorphic species Ciona savignyi using high-throughput sequencing data.